Welcome to the Section 508 Home Page!
This page has general information about Section 508, and the VA Section 508 Program Office. Please visit other pages on the navigation pane to the right titled "Resources" to view more information about accessibility and obtaining conformance with Section 508.
What is Section 508?
- Section 508 is a federal law that is part of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, which established guidelines for technology accessibility
- Section 508 requires that any Electronic and Information Technology (E&IT) developed, procured, maintained or used by federal departments and agencies must allow federal employees and members of the public with disabilities access to and use of information and data
- Section 508 provides technical criteria requirements for the following:
- Software applications and operating systems
- Web-based information or applications
- Video or multi-media products
- Self-contained closed products such as information kiosks, transaction machines, desktop, and portable items
- TTY compatibility and communication access
How does Section 508 apply to me?
- All government agencies are required to comply with Section 508
- All content purchased or used by the Federal government for the creation, conversion, or duplication of information must meet the Section 508 standards
- The VA requires all applicable products to comply with Section 508 by submitting the appropriate Section 508 Conformance documents for each product
What is the role of the VA Section 508 Program Office?
The Section 508 Program Office:
- Processes Section 508 Conformance Document submissions
- Operates a lab facility that audits and validates E&IT and solutions for compliance with Section 508 standards and policies
- Consults with federal program/project managers in implementing Section 508 and E-Gov initiatives
- Serves as a liaison for VA’s Chief Information Officer (CIO) and makes department wide policy recommendations regarding Section 508 issues
You can contact the VA Section 508 Program Office by emailing Section508@va.gov
Where are We Located?
The Section 508 Program Office is located on the C-Level in the Department of Veterans Affairs Central Office. Office visits are available by appointment to all employees interested in seeing, learning, using and witnessing the evaluation of E&IT products.
For further information, questions or comments related to procurement, web accessibility, training and awareness, legal inquiries, and VA's Section 508 Advisory Committee, contact VA's Section 508 Program Office via email. In the subject line, please indicate the reason for the email or the person you would like to contact.